Chair: Liam Frost
Vice Chair: Nicola Richards
Secretary: Claire Jarrett
Treasurer: Julie Green
Publicity Officer: Julie Green
Parents - We need you!
The Chair provides leadership for the committee sets the agenda for meetings and manages meetings in line with the agenda.
The Chair should ensure that issues are properly debated and an agreement is reached. Some committee members will be better at expressing themselves than others; it is important that the chair welcomes contributions from all members of the committee so that everyone feels involved.
The Chair will ensure that all new members feel welcome and their contributions valued. The Chair will introduce them to the other members and encourage them to play an active part in the discussions at committee meetings.
To ensure the smooth running of meetings the Chair must remain impartial and make sure that all parties have a voice and the opportunity to participate in decision-making.
The Chair will work closely with the Treasurer and Secretary to ensure that the PTA is run effectively. As an Officer of the committee, the Chair will be one of designated signatories and will sign cheques on behalf of the PTA along with other designated signatories.
To ensure that the business of the PTA is conducted in accordance with the wishes of the representatives of the PTA, to uphold the constitution of the PTA, and prepare and submit statutory reports to Regulatory Bodies
- Provide leadership
- Sign the approved minutes of the last meeting
- Set the agenda for meetings
- Get to know members of the committee
- Run meetings in an efficient and timely manner ensuring that everyone is able to contribute
- Agree a date for the next meeting
- Welcome and involve new members
- Write the annual report in cooperation with the Secretary
- Sign cheques for the PTA with one other committee member
The support provided by the Vice-Chair is invaluable. Deputising for the Chairperson when necessary, the Vice-Chair helps to ensure that the Committee and all of the events continue to run smoothly. As with the Chair, leadership, enthusiasm and energy are necessary qualities for this post.
To support the chair in all aspects of their role, to ensure that the business of the PTA is conducted in accordance with the wishes of the representatives of the PTA and to uphold the constitution of the PTA.
- To chair meeting in the absence of the Chair
- To draw up annual PTA programme in consultation with the Chair.
- To prepare meeting agendas by consulting with the PTA Chair.
- To welcome and involve other parents into the PTA.
- To lead parent and wider school community engagement in PTA (class representatives, use of local contacts and skills).
- To prepare with the Chair the PTA annual report for the Annual General Meeting.
The Secretary ensures that the PTA runs smoothly and provides a link between Committee Members and the PTA, and between the PTA and the School. This requires good organisational and communication skills and being able to stick to deadlines.
The Secretary is a key committee member as they are responsible for ensuring effective communication links between committee members and between the PTA and the school.
The Secretary deals with all the correspondence that the PTA receives and helps the Chair ensure that committee meetings run smoothly. Building up a good relationship with the school Secretary will help make sure that correspondence, sent to the school, is passed onto the PTA promptly.
As well as dealing with correspondence, following a committee meeting, the Secretary will need to make bookings and other arrangements for events. Confirm arrangements made by telephone in writing (by letter or e-mail). The Secretary will make arrangements for the Annual General Meeting (AGM) and help the Chair prepare the annual report. The Secretary may also be involved in co-signing cheques on behalf of the PTA.
- Deal with correspondence
- Arrange meetings
- Prepare and distribute agendas
- Take the minutes of meetings, type them up and distribute them
- Ensure that enough committee members are present to make the meeting quorate
- Sign cheques as required
- Write the annual report with the Chair
- Preparation and distribution of newsletters and other communications to parents
- Preparation of publicity flyers, posters, tickets, etc. for events
A key role for all committee members is to manage and control the funds the PTA raises. Although all the committee members have equal responsibility for the control and management of PTA funds the Treasurer plays an important part in helping the committee carry out these duties properly.
To maintain up-to-date records of all PTA financial transactions
- Day-to-day management of accounts, including issuing bills and receipts on behalf of the PTA and making payments.
- To prepare and update financial ledgers on a regular basis.
- To complete banking transactions on a regular basis.
- To organise floats for fundraising events, collect and reconcile monies raised at these events and report totals raised to the appropriate stakeholders. Money raised at school events will be locked in the school safe after the event.
- To prepare and report financial statements at PTA Meetings.
- To prepare a concise Financial Report for the Annual General Meeting.
- Charity registration and Gift Aid
A vital role within the PTA is promoting and communicating work of the PTA. The publicity officer must be an excellent communicator both in writing and in person.
To communicate and promote the work of the PTA.
- Work closely with the school office to circulate information to parents via Class Dojo, website and social media
- Publicising PTA events and fundraising initiatives,
- Liaising with the local press to get press coverage of PTA events.
- Ensuring posters are displayed around the school in good time.
- Ensuring all information on PTA work is kept current and up to date
Parent Committee and Volunteers
Committee Members work alongside the Officers.
- Attends PTA meetings
- Gets involved in planning, owning and running events
- Runs smaller projects
- Encourages participation and enthusiasm for the events organized by the PTA
- We want representation across all year groups. New parents to the school will be warmly welcomed.
- Source support from local community e.g. donations from businesses.
You are automatically a member of the St Mary Cray Primary Academy PTA whilst your child is a part of our school. However, we urge you to get involved as a regular member to help us plan and execute events that our children will enjoy and remember.
If you are interested in joying us for
Please contact the PTA via: email@example.com or contact the school office.